MetaMask - Web page: https://metamask.io/
Trezor is a hardware bitcoin wallet that functions as a USB dongle, allowing users to safely access their cryptocurrency even on insecure computers. It operates on a Zero Trust approach, which advocates for multiple layers of security to minimize the ways it can be compromised by a third party. Calling itself the “bitcoin safe,” Trezor includes key security features:
- PIN protection. Trezor is protected by a PIN code you choose. Each time you enter the wrong pin, the wait time until you can re-enter it increases by a power of two. And there’s no starting the timer over – you simply have to wait it out.
- Recovery seed. Trezor provides you with a randomly generated 24-word code that you can use to recover your wallet if your Trezor is stolen or lost.
- Single-purpose device. A bitcoin wallet only, there are no apps or downloads available for the hardware that could potentially compromise security.
- Limited attack surface. Trezor limits its communication with other devices. It has no batteries, cameras for scanning, Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. When the USB device isn’t connected, it’s turned off.
Web page: https://trezor.io/
If you’re looking for a hardware wallet that stores the world’s leading digital currencies, Ledger Nano S offers an attractive value proposition.
Unlike its predecessors, Nano and Ledger HW.1, the Nano S has a built-in, organic LED (OLED) screen, which puts it roughly in the same league as TREZOR and KeepKey. The sleek OLED display means you can double-check and confirm each transaction with a single tap of a button.
It’s important to point out that the Nano S can connect to any computer via USB. If you ever decide to order this device, here’s what you’ll receive in the mail:
- Ledger Nano S device
- One USB cable
- Lanyard that allows you to wear the device around your neck
- One keychain
- One key ring
- Recovery sheet for writing down the seed
A “seed” is simply the string of random words that can help you access and/or recover your account in the event you lose your device.
Web page: https://www.ledger.com